Ingredients for Cake:
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 oz. sweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup instant coffee crystals or instant coffee powder
- 2 tbsp. boiling water
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tbsp. bourbon
Directions for Cake:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 10-inch fluted tube pan. Add cocoa powder. Shake/tilt pan to coat pan with cocoa powder; shake out any extra cocoa powder. Set pan aside. In a bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl combine unsweetened chocolate and sweet chocolate. Microwave, uncovered for 1 minutes; stir. Microwave, uncovered, for an additional 30 seconds; stir until smooth.
- In a 2-cup glass combine coffee crystals and boiling water, stirring to dissolve coffee crystals. Add enough cold water to coffee to measure 1-1/2 cups. Stir in the 1/2 cup bourbon.
- In a large bowl beat butter for 30 seconds. Add sugar. Beat until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in melted chocolate and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and coffee mixture to chocolate mixture, beating on low speed after each addition until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for around 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan; cool on a wire rack.
- If you want – brush the top and side of cake with 2 tbsp of bourbon.
- When you’re ready to serve, spread the top with hard sauce (here’s a good recipe for that), OR add some frosting and/or caramel to the top. This is a pretty rich cake, so I served it with Vanilla Bean Breyer’s Ice Cream to help balance everything out.