One of the many things I love about summer is all of the fresh fruit that becomes available. What’s even better is all of the desserts I’m able to make using the fruit! Most recently I made a peach and blueberry greek yogurt cake and it did not disappoint. The only thing I would have done differently is added more fruit!
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 peaches, sliced into wedges
- 6 oz blueberries
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Grease the side and the bottom of the pan with butter or cooking spray. Line the bottom of a 9×3-inch springform pan (or 9 inch round cake pan) with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper too.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, together into a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter, sugar, and 2 eggs until very light in color and fluffy, 2-3 minutes on high speed. Add vanilla and Greek yogurt and continue beating until very creamy and light in color, for about 1 more minute.
- Keeping the mixer speed low, mix in the flour mix until combined. Do not overmix.
- Transfer the cake batter to the springform pan. Top with sliced peaches, and scatter blueberries evenly on top in the spaces between the peach slices. Sprinkle the fruit with 1 teaspoon granulated sugar.
- Bake until cake turns golden, and the tester comes out clean in the center, about 35-40 minutes, depending on your oven. Midway through baking, I like to put some extra peach slices and extra blueberries on top of the cake for prettiness, and return cake to baking.
- When the cake is done baking, let it cool (still in the baking pan) on a wire rack. After cake has cooled for about 40 minutes, release the cake from the springform pan. At this point, if the cake is cool enough, you can slide your hand under the cake, between the parchment paper and the bottom portion of the springform pan and move the cake with the parchment paper attached to its bottom onto a cake plate easily.
- If using a 9 inch round cake pan, cook in pan for about 40 minutes or more (up to 1 hour, depending on your oven), then invert onto a plate.